A Legacy of Leadership and Excellence
The story of University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis is a story of visionaries and pioneers. It is the story of taking risks and embracing change as opportunity. Our story is a story of innovation.
Since our founding in 1864, the University has been a leader in health care education that never stops innovating. Our pursuit of excellence drives our discoveries and spurs our growth so we can continue to provide you with an exceptional health care education that prepares you to face society’s most pressing health issues.
History of the University
University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis is home to the College of Arts and Sciences and St. Louis College of Pharmacy, the third-oldest college of pharmacy in the United States.
When the University was founded, as St. Louis College of Pharmacy, in a rented classroom in a downtown St. Louis medical building with three faculty members and eight students, it was the first college of pharmacy west of the Mississippi.
Within 30 years, the University would move six times before settling in the Central West End neighborhood, simply because we kept outgrowing our spaces.
- Augusta Bock became the first woman to graduate from the University 28 years before women were granted the right to vote in the United States.
- By 1906, the University helped establish a St. Louis chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association.
- The University offered its first alternative Degree of Pharmaceutical Chemist in 1908, while also adding a commercial pharmacy course, the first of its kind.
- A four-year Bachelor of Science was implemented with the curriculum additions of bacteriology, English, German, mathematics and physics.
- In 1945, the institution was renamed St. Louis College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Sciences to better reflect its expanded degree programs.
- The University launched a new course in animal pharmacy, in 1946, the first of its kind in the nation.
- In 1947, the student body secured 100% membership in the student chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the University, one of the first and few schools to ever do so, exemplifying the University’s commitment and passion for high-caliber pharmacy education.
- From 1952-1955, the University continued to expand its degree offerings with two Master of Science paths.
- After many more years and another name change, the University continues to evolve and establish long-lasting traditions that give back to the community.
Make history and be part of our story.