Office of Experiential Education Announces 2020 Preceptor of the Year Awards
Published on 11 August 2020
In May, the St. Louis College of Pharmacy Office of Experiential Education announced its 2020 Pharmacy Preceptor of the Year Awards, distributed each year to preceptors in recognition of their commitment to the advancement of student learning.
Preceptor of the Year Awards recognize individuals who have demonstrated excellence in teaching, professionalism, innovations in clinical advancements and commitment to the Doctor of Pharmacy program.
Experiential education opportunities provide students with hands-on experience and exposure to diverse pharmacy practice settings, preparing them for their role on the health care team.
During their P1, P2 and P3 years, student pharmacists are required to complete concentrated and longitudinal introductory pharmacy practice experiences (IPPEs) focused on safe medication use, patient care principles and transitions of care in community and health system settings. Advanced pharmacy practice experiences (APPEs) are completed during the P4 year, and are designed to build on general and professional abilities developed throughout the curriculum in a variety of practice settings.
Each year, Preceptor of the Year Award recipients are selected from a collection of student-submitted nominations by a student committee. These individuals are influential educators who stand out from their peers by making a recognizable impact on student education, creating a positive learning environment, offering challenging student opportunities, making a positive impact at their practice sites, and contributing to the profession of pharmacy as a whole.
Four individuals were honored with Preceptor of the Year Awards this year:
- APPE Clinical Pharmacy Excellence Award: Golden L. Peters, Pharm.D., BCPS, associate professor of pharmacy practice at the College and ambulatory care clinical pharmacist at North Central Community Health Center
- APPE Adjunct Preceptor of the Year Award: Lauren Palmier, Pharm.D. '14, pharmacy manager at CVS Health and adjunct professor at the College
- IPPE Community Preceptor of the Year Award: Christopher M. Geronsin, B.S. '77, R.Ph., owner of Beverly Hills Pharmacy
- IPPE Health System Preceptor of the Year Award: Daniel R. Bollman, Pharm.D., director of pharmacy, Red Bud Regional Hospital
IPPE Preceptor Merit Awards are also awarded each year to preceptors with exceptional student nominations who were not chosen for the Preceptor of the Year awards. These preceptors have demonstrated excellence in teaching, professionalism and commitment to experiential learning.
This year’s Merit Award recipients were:
- Joseph Tyler Edwards, Pharm.D. ’16, pharmacy operations manager, Phelps Health
- Steven L. Meredith, B.S. '84, R.Ph., pharmacy manager, Walmart
- Wendy K. Roe, B.S. '04, R.Ph., pharmacy manager, CVS Health
- Vito Sansone, B.S. '77, R.Ph., BCPP, MBA, directory of pharmacy, SSM St. Joseph’s Health Center Wentzville
Preceptors take a leading role in developing and cultivating the skills of future pharmacists during rotations. These dedicated individuals provide unique learning experiences that grow and shape students’ technical and professional skills.