Learn more about our ongoing COVID-19 response.

hero image

PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency

The University's partnerships with community-based pharmacies ensure that residents will be prepared to assume a leadership role in advancing the profession of pharmacy and community pharmacy practice.

Walgreens Pharmacy

Program Director: Michelle Jeon, Pharm.D., BCACP
Resident positions: 1
ASHP Code: 64014
NMS Code: 203022

The purpose of this PGY1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency Program is to build upon the education and outcomes of the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) and to develop community-based pharmacist practitioners with diverse patient care, leadership, and skills who are eligible to pursue advanced training opportunities including postgraduate year two (PGY2) residencies and professional certifications.

This program seeks to enable residents to achieve their professional goals, become a leader within the profession, provide compassionate care for members of their communities, and contribute to Walgreens’ advancement in healthcare.

The main practice site for the resident is the Walgreens Wellness Center, located approximately one mile from the University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis' campus. This separate patient care area—located adjacent to the pharmacy—offers unique opportunities to practice advanced patient care in a variety of chronic disease states. The resident will gain substantial experience in providing Medication Therapy Management (MTM), health screenings, health/wellness education, and immunizations to a diverse patient population. In addition, the resident will gain specialty pharmacy experience at the Walgreens pharmacy at Community, A Walgreens Pharmacy, where the resident will provide HIV, Hepatitis C, solid organ transplant, and oncology care. Upon completion, the resident will be prepared to assume a leadership role in advancing the profession of pharmacy in community and specialty pharmacy practice.

Outcomes of the residency program include diverse patient care experiences, demonstration of leadership, personal and professional growth as well as the experience necessary to pursue advanced training opportunities including postgraduate year two residencies and professional certifications.

What can residents do after completing a PGY1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency program at UHSP?

Community-based pharmacy residents may obtain positions in a community-based practice as a specialty or patient care pharmacist, work in ambulatory care or long-term care practice settings, or academia. Residents may also choose to pusue a PGY2 residency in outpatient speciality diesease management or ambulatory care.

  • 100% of residents presented research at national meetings. One resident successfully obtained external grant funding to support execution of residency research.
  • Two residents published original research manuscripts in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
  • More than 70% of residents remained with Walgreeens, obtaining management or specilaity pharmacy positions immedidately following completion of the residency. The remaining 30% of residents obtained ambulatory care, academia, and speciality positions outside of Walgreens following completion of the residency.
  • 42% of residents achieved further certification through the American Academy of HIV medicine.

Program Director

Michelle Jeon, Pharm.D., BCACPMichelle Jeon

Dr. Michelle Jeon is  the residency program director  for the PGY1 Community-Based Residency Program at Walgreens/UHSP. She is an assistant professor of pharmacy practice at St. Louis College of Pharmacy at University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis and clinical community pharmacist at Walgreens Wellness Center. Dr. Jeon earned her Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Pharmacy degrees from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at University of the Sciences. She completed a PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency at Wilkes University and Hartzell's Pharmacy. Dr. Jeon is a Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (BCACP). 

 

More About the Program

Ready to Get Started

We're here to help you take the next step. We can't wait to welcome you to UHSP.