Board of Trustees Policy on Diversity and Inclusion
The University's Policy on Diversity and Inclusion was approved by the Board of Trustees on Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015.
Diversity in all aspects of and throughout University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis is fundamental to the University’s mission of providing an environment that combines rigorous study with the excitement of discovery. As an institution of higher education, the University is defined by the belief that a multiplicity of values and beliefs, interests and experiences, intellectual and cultural viewpoints enrich learning and inform scholarship.
But the importance of diversity extends beyond its contribution to a rich academic environment. Diversity enhances all aspects of the health care industry that we prepare our students to enter. A multiplicity of perspectives can lead to better, collaborative patient care, innovation in research and successful business strategy.
We are committed to fostering an environment at University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis that contributes to the robust exchange of ideas within a diverse community.
Policy on Diversity and Inclusion
The University strives to be an educational institution that welcomes faculty, staff and students from diverse backgrounds and situations. The University is committed to providing all members of our community with equal opportunity to participate in our programs and activities, including but not limited to, academic programs, social and recreational programs and services and to promote and enhance the diversity of the University community.
The University does not discriminate against any person based on age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or familial status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
- For students, this applies to educational programs, residential environments, athletics and other co-curricular programs, social and recreational programs and student services.
- For faculty, staff and student employees, this applies to all employment decisions, including selection, benefits, compensation, tenure, training and educational programs, transfer, promotion/demotion, layoff, return from layoff and termination. In determining whether discrimination or other conduct prohibited under this policy has occurred, what is permissible under applicable laws will be taken into account.
The University firmly embraces the following principles of inclusion to create an environment for equal opportunity and participation in all aspects of the University:
- The University will employ proactive recruitment techniques to attract a diverse group of student applicants, including those from underrepresented groups.
- The University will devote resources to support students to enhance the likelihood of their successful matriculation, progression and graduation.
- In all searches, departments will employ proactive recruitment and advertising techniques to attract a diverse group of applicants, including those from underrepresented groups.
- The University will provide faculty, staff and students with training and education on equal opportunity issues and avoidance of problems.
- It is a core responsibility of the University President to report on diversity initiatives to the Board of Trustees at the annual meeting.
While equal opportunity and inclusion are the responsibility of all members of the University community, the President has final responsibility for the overall implementation and monitoring of this policy. It will be the responsibility of the President to determine periodically which groups are under-represented for purposes of this policy and to make appropriate adjustments to implementation of this policy. The daily working responsibility for equal opportunity and inclusion is delegated to the vice president for diversity and inclusion. These individuals have responsibility for implementation of this policy and promulgation of the concept of equal opportunity and inclusion. The University will implement this policy in accordance with applicable law.