Faculty and Staff Biography
Doctor of Natural Sciences (Biopharmaceutics/Pharmacokinetics), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich (Switzerland)
Master of Science ETH (Pharmacy), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich (Switzerland)
Drug Delivery, Molecular Pharmaceutics, Nanoengineering, Membrane Transport
Dr. Pauletti directs an interdisciplinary research program that centers on the design and evaluation of novel drug delivery systems, including targeted nanocarriers, bioresponsive medical devices, and combination products. Over the past 20 years, he successfully enabled - in collaboration with various academic and commercial partners - preclinical and early clinical development of those technologies to improve safety and therapeutic efficacy of small molecules and biotechnology-based drugs relevant to women's health and cancer interventions. Dr. Pauletti has published more than 150 scientific papers and communications and is the holder on 15 U.S. patents and patent applications.
Current Courses, Activities, and Scholarly Interest
Since 2015, Dr. Pauletti serves as the Scientific Secretary of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), providing leadership and strategic direction on scientific aspects relevant to pharmaceutical sciences, practice, and education around the globe. In addition, he supports the World Health Organization (WHO) Expert Committee on Specifications of Pharmaceutical Preparations as an advisor establishing a scientifically robust framework to waive in vivo bioequivalence requirements for selected medicines included in the WHO List of Essential Medicines.
Selected recent publications:
- Allam, A.A., Potter, S.J., Bud'ko, S.L., Shi, D., Mohamed, D.F., Habib, F.S., and Pauletti, G.M. (2018) Lipid-coated Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles for Thermoresponsive Cancer Treatment. Int. J. Pharm. 548: 297-304 (DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2018.07.022).
- Abd El Hamid, B., Swarnakar, N.K., Soliman, G.M., Attia, M.A., and Pauletti, G.M. (2018) High Payload Nanostructured Lipid Carriers Fabricated with Alendronate/Polyethyleneimine Ion Complexes. Int. J. Pharm. 535: 148-156 (DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2017.10.064).
- Hegener, M.A., Li, H., Han, D., Steckl, A.J., and Pauletti, G.M. (2017) Point-of-Care Coagulation Monitoring: First Clinical Experience Using a Paper-Based Lateral Flow Diagnostic. Biomed. Microdev. 19:64 (DOI: 10.1007/s10544-017-0206-z).
- Dunn, A.W., Zhang, Y., Mast, D.B., Pauletti, G.M., Xu, H., Zhang, J., Ewing, R.C., and Shi, D. (2016) In-vitro Depth-dependent Hyperthermia of Human Mammary Gland Adenocarcinoma. Mater. Sci. Eng. C 69:12-16 (DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2016.06.026).
- Abd Ellah, N., Taylor, L., Ayres, N., Elmahdy, M.M., Fetih, G.N., Ibrahim, E.A., and Pauletti, G.M. (2016) NF-κB Decoy Polyplexes Decrease P-glycoprotein-mediated Multidrug Resistance in Colorectal Cancer Cells. Cancer Gene Ther. 23:149-155 (DOI: 10.1038/cgt.2016.17).
- Abd Ellah, N., Taylor, L., Ayres, N., Pauletti, G.M., and Jones, H.N. (2015) Development of Non-viral, Trophoblast-specific Gene Delivery for Placental Therapy. PLoS One 10, e0140879 (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0140879).
- Pauletti, G.M., Harrison, D.C., and Desai, K.J. (2012) Method for Augmentation of Intraepiethelial and Systemic Exposure of Therapeutic Agents having Substrate Activity for Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Membrane Efflux Systems Following Vaginal and Oral Cavity Administration (United States Patent 8,178,123).
- Pauletti, G.M., Liu, J.H., and Ritschel, W.A. (2011) Compositions and Method for Transmucosal Drug Delivery and Cryoprotection (United States Patent 7,939,098).
- Pauletti, G.M., Liu, J.H., Benet, L.Z., and Ritschel, W.A. (2006) Vaginal Delivery of Chemotherapeutic Agents and Inhibitors of Membrane Efflux Systems for Cancer Therapy (United States Patent 6,982,091).
- Pauletti, G.M. and Clendening, C.E. (2005) Formulations for Transmucosal Vaginal Delivery of Bisphosphonates (United States Patent 6,905,701).